Cancer is a class of diseases defined by uncontrolled growth of cells, and pancreatic cancer happens when the uncontrolled growth of cells starts in the pancreas.
Pancreas is an organ situated behind the stomach and in front of the spine. The pancreas produces digestive juices and hormones that manage glucose. Cells called exocrine pancreas cells deliver the digestive juices, while cells called endocrine pancreas cells generate the hormones. The greatest part of pancreatic cancer begin in the exocrine cells.
Signs and Symptoms of Pancreatic Cancer
Cancer indications are quite varied and depend upon where the disease is found, where it has spread, and how big the tumor is. Pancreatic tumor is often called silent illness, since it seldom shows early symptoms and displays nonspecific later symptoms. Tumors of the pancreas are normally too small to bring about side effects. However, when the growth develops, symptoms include :
- Unexplained weight loss
- Pain in the upper or middle abdomen and back
- Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting
- Jaundice (Discoloration of the skin and whites of the eyes)
Causes of Pancreatic Cancer
The elements which could put you at danger for creating pancreatic disease include:
- Long standing diabetes
- Inherited conditions ( including hereditary pancreatitis)
- Chronic pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
- Obesity and sedentary lifestyle
- Age factor
Diagnosis and Treatment Procedure
Some of the methods used for diagnosing pancreatic cancer includes
- Blood Test - Blood tests will show abnormalities like elevated Bilirubin – marker of jaundice and increased levels of enzymes related to the liver like SGOT, SGPT and ALP
- Imaging Tests - Common imaging tests that a physician uses to diagnose pancreatic cancer include – USG abdomen, CT scan abdomen and MRI. These tests will provide information regarding the site, size and location of the pancreatic cancer.
- Endoscopic Ultrasound and Biopsy - uses a endoscopic instrument to take the images of inner portion
Treatment options depend on the sort and phase of the cancer growth, age and general health of the patient and patient preferences. Treatments commonly used includes
- Surgical Procedures
- Stent Placement/ Surgical Bypass
- Radiation Therapy
Dr. Kamalesh a well known Gastro Surgeon offers advanced Pancreatic Cancer Treatment in Kochi.